Dead Rhetoric.com Week in Review June 16 – June 22, 2013Saturday, 22nd June 2013
Black Sabbath’s 13 landed at #1 on the Billboard charts this week, recalling when Pantera hit #1 with Far Beyond Driven and the various times Metallica topped the charts. It’s not very often one of our own gets all the way to the top, so perhaps we should revel in it for as long as we can. Soon enough, pop drek like Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, and friends will continue their reign…and we can retreat to our little world. Alas, here’s all the transpired this past week, so have at it… – David E. Gehlke
We are hosting a giveaway for veteran death metallers Jungle Rot. Win this killer price package by clicking here.
The Dillinger Escape Plan’s new One of Us is the Killer is also up for grabs, so have at it.
Our good friends at Asher Media Relations were kind enough to put a batch of CDs up for grabs. You know the drill.
The staff picked their respective top-5 albums for the first-half of 2013. As you’ll read, perennial favorites Omnium Gatherum have a big head start on the competition.
Bruce Soord of The Pineapple Thief teamed with Katatonia vocal maestro Jonas Renkse for the Wisdom of Crowds album. Hear what Soord had to say about working with Renkse, and if the two have future plans.
The Atrocity duo of Alexander Krull and Thorsten Bauer talked to DR about their new album, Okkult.
The Black Dahlia Murder continue their bi-annual release schedule with Everblack.
Dan Barkasi caught the 2013 installment of the Metal Alliance tour in Cleveland, where upon Anthrax and friends proceeded to put on a rowdy show.
Long-running Norwegian metallers Tristania return with The Darkest White, and say goodbye to Goth.
The Devil’s Blood call it a day with the much-talked about Tabula Rasa. Kill the drum machine!
Warbest’s sophomore Destroy album left a lasting impression on our own Ken Gallant.
Evile’s third album Skull is suitably thrash-tastic, according to DR’s editor.
German folk metal kings Suidakra are back at it with Eternal Defiance.
Leprous continues to make strides, this time with Coal. Working with Ihsahn has its rewards, you know?
Black Sabbath’s 13 has drawn a rash of opinions, mostly positive. That’s how you do a comeback album, apparently.
The Louder Than Hell tome seems to lean more on the carnal side. Maybe metal dudes get more chicks than we think, eh?
Swiss grinders Mumakil make good on their Relapse debut with Flies Will Starve.
The news in ten
1. Jason Newsted posts another new song, “Heroic Dose.”
2. Ozzy claims Black Sabbath wants Bill Ward for their next album…if it ever happens.
3. The Dillinger Escape Plan post the video for the title track of their One of Us is the Killer new album.
4. Busy week for Amon Amarth, who posted a new song, “Father of the Wolf.”
5. Dave Lombardo jams with Sepultura. Think he misses not being in Slayer?
6. Reactivated classic tech death metal gang Gorguts post the lyric video for “Forgotten Arrows.”
7. Italian extreme metal sickos Aborym post the video for “Dirty.”
8. Katatonia lay out plans to remix and remaster Viva Emptiness. DR’s editor has asked to sit in on the sessions.
9. Phil Anselmo posts another new solo track, “Bedridden.”
10. Greek metal legends Rotting Christ post the video for “666.”