Geoff Tate Wants To Hear If You Think His New Queensryche Album StinksSaturday, 27th April 2013
Do you really hate Frequency Unknown, the new album from the Geoff Tate-fronted version of QUEENSRŸCHE? Have you already blogged about it online? Well, metal geeks, if you’ve got the balls to stand behind your opinion, then here is the contest for you.
Stop hiding behind your computer keyboards and smart phones and show Tate and his record label, Deadline Music/Cleopatra Records, how much you hate “Frequency Unknown” by submitting your “video rant” to them via YouTube video. Start by giving them your real name on camera and proceed to rant away. Geoff Tate will film himself choosing the best video rant and will post online for your enjoyment. The winner will receive an all-expenses paid trip to Seattle, Washington to see QUEENSRŸCHE in their hometown on June 29, along with VIP special guest seating, meet-and-greet passes for after the show and a merchandise package worth $250 that he or she can feel free to either burn — or wear in style!
1. Video rants must be submitted via YouTube and contestant must state on camera before beginning the rant: “My name is (real first and last name per ID and/or passport) and this is my video submission for the QUEENSRŸCHE “best rant” contest — or video will not be considered.
2. All video submissions must include a link to: www.cleorecs.com or video will not be considered.
3. Please limit your rants to the music and production of the album Frequency Unknown. Personal attacks/personal threats on QUEENSRŸCHE bandmembers and family members will not be tolerated. Any video submissions that cross the line will be denied and possibly reported to YouTube for violation of YouTube policies (seriously — wives and children are off limits!)
4. Content of the video rant must be limited to the QUEENSRŸCHE Frequency Unknown album as released by Deadline Music/Cleopatra Records on April 23, 2013 and not on any previously released QUEENSRŸCHE or Geoff Tate solo albums.
5. Contest limited to ages 18 and up only.
6. Deadline for submissions is May 10, 2013.
7. Runners-up will receive free “goodie bag” from QUEENSRŸCHE and Cleopatra Records Inc.
8. Contest limited to U.S. residents only
9. Employees of Cleopatra Records, E1 Entertainment or its business partners are not eligible.
As previously reported, Deadline Music/Cleopatra Records is making available the “new and improved” mixes of Frequency Unknown to any customers who have purchased the original mix version and are dissatisfied with the audio. Simply e-mail the label a scan of your actual receipt for the physical CD to Queensryche@cleorecs.com and they will happily send you a replacement disc — at no charge whatsoever. No questions asked!
Frequency Unknown was released on April 23. The CD was produced by Jason Slater at a studio in Northern California. The first single from the effort, “Cold”, can be streamed below. The track, which was mixed by Anthony Focx (NEWSTED, AEROSMITH, NIGHT RANGER, TED NUGENT), will also be released as a special limited-edition seven-inch vinyl single with a newly recorded version of the QUEENSRŸCHE classic “Silent Lucidity” — mixed by Jürgen Engler (DORO, DIE KRUPPS) — on the B-side.
Asked about the decision to remix Frequency Unknown shortly before the album’s release, Tate told “The Continental Breakfast With James & Raina”: “We were a little rushed on the mixing end of it, so after listening to it back, we’re having some of the songs remixed now before the album comes out. But that’s typical with records — you have to have them in on time. So sometimes you compromise in areas. Luckily, with this situation, we get to go back and correct some areas in the sound where we thought it was kind of lacking. So that’s fine. I’ve done that on… gosh… probably three quarters of the records I’ve ever made. It’s no new thing, but it’s a luxury when you get to fix it.”
Frequency Unknown is packaged with bonus tracks — four QUEENSRŸCHE classics, newly recorded, including the smash hit single “Silent Lucidity”. Guest musicians on the CD include K.K. Downing (JUDAS PRIEST), Chris Poland (MEGADETH), Ty Tabor (KING’S X), Paul Bostaph (SLAYER, TESTAMENT, EXODUS), Lita Ford, Brad Gillis (NIGHT RANGER), Dave Meniketti (Y&T) and Craig Locicero (FORBIDDEN).
Frequency Unknown track listing:
1. When Lightning Strikes
2. Running Backwards
4. Life Without You
5. In The Hands Of God
7. The Weight Of The World
Bonus tracks: (2013 versions)
11. Silent Lucidity
13. Jet City Woman
14. I Don t Believe In Love